[gothic-l] Re: Scanza - Was: Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Jan 7 15:43:41 UTC 2002

>  >
>>  Dirk,
>>  What I oppose is that you don't analyze when Jordanes confuses
>Thule
>>  with Scandzem and take it for granted that it must be the same
>place.
>>
>>  You are reapeating old misunderstandings when you just accept that
>>  there was only one place in the Baltic. Archaeological finds says
>>  something else.
>>
>>  Tore
>

>Tore,
>
>in my view the Greeks and especially Romans had a number of different
>points of contact in the Baltic Sea and North Sea at different times
>and different intensity to which they allocated only two different
>main names. The problem was that they had no common map for
>reference. Thus, Thule could be anything from Scandinavia proper over
>the Shetlands/Orkneys to Iceland, while the somewhat later name
>Scandza/Scatinavia seems to have mainly been used for Scandinavia
>proper with Gotland, or even Gotland alone. Also, some people argue
>that Thule was Norway, while Scatinavia was Sweden, which is not true
>in any case as Procopius' confusion of these placed shows.
>
>Can I ask when the name Gotland is first attested in historical
>documents, and who recorded it?
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
In Guta Lagh from about 1220 it says "Gutland"

In a document from 1225 it says that when Riga was founded in 1201 it
had been ascribed "ius Gutorum"

And Bartholomeus Anglicus beginning 13th century says "Huic regioni
adiacet insula quedam nomine gothlandia, gothorum terra dicta que a
gothis fuit antiquitus habitata."

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!