[gothic-l] Re: Two Peoples

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jan 8 11:13:41 UTC 2002

> Also the linguistic similarity between the people names Goths,
Gutar,
> Goetar/Gauti will always be hard to explain away.

These linguistic similarities do not need to be explained away.
Whatever the original name meant, it can have had significance for a
number of people in different areas without any migration or
connection. Note that the name Veneti is applied to a range of people
from the Baltic sea cost in central/eastern Europe, Northern Italy
and Western Gaul. Also, Saami live in northern Scandinavia, while a
Prussian tribe was also called Sami. In neither case was a migration
the cause for the occurance of these names in different places.

Even if the name of the Goths, Gauts and Goetar derived from the same
ethnic group it remains entirely open which group adopted the name
first and how it was transfered to another group. Especially with
archaeology arguing against a transmission by migration we would have
to look for other explanations.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!