[gothic-l] Two Peoples

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 9 10:22:36 UTC 2002

Tore,

Thank you for providing your view on professor
Lars Hermodsson's book _Goterna - ett krigarfolk
och dess bibel_ (1993). I can see that we have
different opinions on the book.

It is in my opinion not only a fine introduction
to the subject. Especially his treatment of
the question of the original home of the Goths
is fair and balanced. Naturally he refers to
historical sources such as Jordanes. Hermodsson
also mentions the Gutasaga and I cannot agree
with him in his estimate that the saga has no
considerably historical value. It is one in a line
of circumstantial evidences that support the
theory of a Gothic migration from southern
Scandinavia.

Hermodsson also treats the research of Josef Svennung
on the peoples living on the Scandinavian peninsula
in Jordanes and Hermodsson concluded that it
heightens the credibility of the information in _Getica_.
Why not believe the own assessments of the Goths in
the 6th century AD concerning their origins. As I have
argued earlier oral history written down as in Jordanes
should receive greater attention by historians.

When the linguistical connection between Goths, Gauti and
Gutar is added it "aer och foerblir ett starkt argument
för att den gotiska stammen hade sitt ursprung någonstans
i det forna Sydsverige."

To Hermodssons book has in 2000 been added the highly
valuable book by Ingemar Nordgren, _Goterkaellan_ (see my
review "Banbrytande nyutgivet verk om goterna", Saxo 2000,
pp. 184-185). It is indeed heartening that the Goths are once
more the subject of research in Scandinavia and one can only
hope that similar works will appear in Denmark and Norway.

The Andersson (BTW, Anderson is a common Scottish name)
articles on the linguistic connection between the people names
Goths, Gutar and Gauti is also part of this growing corpus of
research. Heather and others in my opinion is only part of
the research that will much more importantly be aided by the
study of ancient DNA. A large corpus of scientific research
is available and will grow during the first decade of the 21st
century on the subject of ancient DNA, and this may provide
the breakthrough in the unsolved question of the origin of
the Goths.

Concerning the use of the terms oestgoter and vaestgoter
by professor Hermodsson, I would recommend for your rereading
pp. 28ff in _Goterna - ett krigarfolk och dess bibel_.

For the sources of Hermodssons work see p. 113.

Hermodsson's work is of course not the only. I don't want
to repeat once more extensive bibliographies presented
here already.

Heather, Wolfram and others are certainly not "the final word"
as Gothic studies go.

Gothically

Bertil

I had to reread Hermodssons book. When I first read it I considered
it a popular account of the Goths without any serious source