[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Ethnogenesis

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 9 12:06:29 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >Tore,
> >
> >many authors wrote a lot of things 'as a matter of fact'. And if
this
> >was in the 1950s this explaines a lot. 300BC is far to early to
have
> >anything to do with the Goths and the Wielbark culture. The
Wielbark
> [...]
> >>  originated centuries before.
> >

> >>From exactly the same areas. The Wielbark culture and all its
> >predecessor Iron Age cultures were autochonous to the area.
> >

> >>  Nach Professor Birger Nerman, Fornvännen 1954, Seite 274:  Aber
die
> >>  Verbindungen Skandinaviens während der jüngeren Bronzezeit
galten
> >>  Gebieten noch weiter im Osten als Ostrußland, und hier kommt vor
> >>  allem Gotland in Frage. Besonders galten diese Verbindungen dem
> >>  Kaukasus, wo zu der in Frage kommenden Zeit eine offensichtlich
> >>  reiche Kultur blühte."
> >

> >So Nerman said that Scandinavia had contacts with East Russia and
the
> >Caucasus in the late Bronze Age, but what has that to do with the
> >Goths?
> >

> >>  Man darf sich vorstellen, daß sich gotländische Händler während
der
> >>  jüngeren Bronzezeit auf Wege südlich und südöstlich der Ostsee
> >>  begeben haben.
> >

> >It is certainly possible that Gotlandic traders of the Bronze Age
> >ventured to the southern coast of the Baltic, just as traders from
> >the southern Baltic coast will have come to Gotland.
> >

> >  Auch Leute aus anderen Teilen des Nordens haben wohl
> >>  diese Wege  aufgesucht, aber in bedeutendem Maße wurden die
> >östlichen
> >>  Einflüsse sicherlich von den Gotländern an die anderen Stämme im
> >>  Norden vermittelt."
> >>
> >>  Dr Vello Lougas writes in "Kontakter mellan Skandinavien och
> >>  Östeuropa innan Vikingatiden"Die östliche Kontaktzone zwischen
> >>  Skandinavien und den finno-ugrischen Stämmen ist das obere und
> >>  mittlere Wolgagebiet. Besonders die Mariregion ist interessant,
was
> >>  das mittlere Gebiet angeht. Es erscheint völlig klar, daß die
> >>  Verbindungen zwischen Skandinavien und dem Wolgagebiet während
des
> >>  Endes der Bronzezeit und dem Beginn der Eisenzeit direkt gewesen
> >>  sind."
> >

> >Again, I cannot see what trade links between Scandinavia and the
> >Wolga region in the Bronze Age have to do with the Goths.
> >
> >Dirk
> >

> Dirk,
> Your problem is that you limit yourself to very narrow areas. You
> must look more at the broad lines.
>
> There are proof of Gotlandic trading colonies in Balticum during
the
> Bronze age and from time to time up to the Middle Ages.
>
> That means that there are probably close links between these areas.
> The people who moved out become locals.
> The culture flows both directions. That we can see in the
archaeological finds.

> You see it even today that people move and become locals.
>
> When the Wielbark culture is formed it absorbs the people within a
> certain area under some forceful leaders. And it develops from
there.
> Who these leaders were and from where they came we don't know.

Tore,

this is still not how the ethnogenesis of the Goths and the emergence
of the Wielbark culture is presented by modern archaeologists. Since
I am not an expert myself I simply prefer to rely on the findings and
interpretations of the people who deal with these matters
professionally.

If you have not already done so, I recommend you read the relevant
articles by Volker Bierbrauer and A. Kokowski (mentioned earlier on
the list) or the historical interpretation by Walter Pohl in the
Reallexikon der Germanischen Alterumskunde. Andreas also mentioned a
number of archaeologists who support the same views.

cheers,
Dirk

> --

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!