[gothic-l] Goths in the East

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 9 16:00:07 UTC 2002

Thank you for your comments on the Gothic
hypothesis in the study of the rise of the
East-Slavic kingdom. I know norhing of the
examples that are presented underneath
and elsewhere in the text.

To continue my chronology

Ca. 800 - 1100 AD

The Finns as well as the Slavs use the ethnic names
also for the inhabitants of Sweden. The Nestor
Chronicle mentioned th eRus as being Swedes,
ca 862).

In Old Russian the ethnic name Rus denotes to begin
with 'people of a Germanic or Scandinavian origin but as
time passes at the Kievan kingdom was established, the
name came to denote 'the people of Russia'.

Bertil Haggman

> Soederlind's is one of the worst solutions of
> the issue I have ever encountered. It focuses on
> highly speculative philology, and completely ignores
> historical, archaeological, linguistic (!yes indeed),
> folkloric, and any other evidence you care to name.
> The only "theory" which is even worse, in my opinion,
> is that of a scholar whose name escapes me for the
> moment, and who argued that the "Rus" were Khazar
> "rasha" (outcasts).

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!