[gothic-l] Gothic Culture

L. A. Gothro loegria at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 9 14:31:41 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me.  Looking at modern "alternative" groups who
call themselves "Goths" or "Gothic", it has made me wonder why, when the
term "Gothic" is used, present-day folks think of very pale-skinned people
with dark hair wearing eye makeup resembling the markings of a panda and
dark lips to match, dressed all in black and generally shunning the
sunlight.  The term also seems to invoke visions of horror and vampires.

Is there a reason for this?  Were the Goths (of any given geographical area)
really like that, or has history been twisted to suit the tastes of the
moderns?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Gothically,

L. A. Gothro