[gothic-l] The Eighteenth Gothic-Roman War 408-410 AD

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Jan 4 16:01:32 UTC 2002

Dear Bertil,
we cannot agree on this because I cite sources for my interpretation
and you do not. What Olympiodorus tells us means that Honorius
did not supply Athaulf's army with grain and he gave Athaulf no
written treaty and ordered settlement in Gaul, and that means also
that Athaulf got no official position in the roman army.  Gaul was
reconquered for Honorius by a Roman general named Constantius,
who got the hand of Galla Placidia and the post of co-emperor as a
reward for his exertions. This was Constantius III and his son
Valentinian III became the last emperor of the Valentinian-
Theodosian dynasty in the Western Empire.
Knd regards
                  Andreas
ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich