[gothic-l] Two Peoples

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Fri Jan 4 17:33:01 UTC 2002

Hi Bertil,

> Oskar,
>
> Am sticking to the early split in the 3rd Century AD.

Naturally, you are entitled to stick to whatever theory you might wish.
I just find it peculiar that you do not face the evidence presented here
and seriously reply to it. I can't understand what this Hermodsson makes
such an impact on you, and why he is more authorative to you than other
more competent historians like Wolfram and Heather?
Somehow it seems like you prefer it to be a certain way although you are
unable to face up to the facts laid forward authorative historians like Heather
and competent members of this list!

> The events after the Edirne battle in 378 AD is described
> thus by Professor Hermodsson:
>
> "Daermed tycktes de oestromerska laenderna ligga
> oeppna foer vaestgoterna, och liksom under tidigare aar
> drog nu aaterigen gotiska skaror plundrande och haerjande
> genom provinserna."
>
> If we move ahead to 382 AD Hermodsson wrote:
>
> "Det sloets aar 382 ett foerdrag mellan den romerska
> staten och vaestgoterna, som föerpliktade sig att
> staellas ina truppstyrkor till det romerska rikets tjaenst
> i haendelse av yttre anfall. Vaestgoterna var därmed
> aanyo foederati och fick aarliga subventionerna."
>
> Vaestgoterna are of course the Visigoths. Hermodsson is
> using the terms Eastern Goths and Western Goths.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil

Best,
Oskar