[gothic-l] Re: Scanza - Was: Trailing the Eruli in the North

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Jan 7 02:36:01 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >Tore,
> >
> >If we accept your explanation that the island described in Jordanes
> >III, 16-17 (1. sentence) was Gotland, which "Island" of Scanza did
he
> >then in your opinion describe in III, 19-23 and the rest of 17? Do
> >you have 40 days of midnightsun in the northern part of Gotland,
but
> >nothing in the south? Do you have room for so many tribes at
Gotland?
> >Why do some of these tribes and the name of the "island" remaind us
> >of Scandinavia?
> >
> >Troels
> >

> Troels,
>
> In this case I fully accept the logic of Dirk.
> Jordanes did not know the geografhy of the Baltic.
>
> He has the tales about the great Scandza from where the Goths were
> supposed to have originated.
>
> He does only know that it is next to Thule.
>
> Procopius knows about Thule and has informers amongst the Eruls.
From
> there he knows quite a few tribes.
>
> When Jordanes writes he is confusing these two places and as the
> Goths are a great people the place they originate from must also be
> great place. Further he is very vague about the placement of the
> various tribes. This is an additional indication that he does not
> know what he is talking about.
>
> He thinks that Thule and Scanza is the same place although he in
the
> introduction has stated they were two places.
>
> He thinks the two sources he has end up at the same place. They
don't!!

> He has some tribal names common with Procopius. Others he has
> obtained from other sources.
>
> The arechaeological finds are clear here.
> Tore

Tore,

Neither Jordanes nor Procopius had a clear picture of the geography
of Scandinavian region - maybe caused by an insufficient description
from Ptolemeus.

I also agree that Jordanes probably mixed up Gotland and the
Scandinavian Peninsula under the name Scanza, but I am still not sure
how you will split his description up today (I remember some earlier
discussions).

Do you agree, that III 19-23 describes the Scandinavian Peninsula?

Troels

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!