[gothic-l] Re: Two Peoples

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Jan 7 14:03:48 UTC 2002

>Hi Tore,
>
>I read Vasiliev's book some years ago, but don't think that he said
>that Katharina II replaced the last Crimean Goths with Tartars. He
>said that the Crimean Goths were largely hellenised in the middle
>ages and became tatarised from the late middle ages. When the Crimea
>came to Russia under Katharina in the 18th century, she resettled
>small groups of Christians from the Crimea to the areas north of the
>Sea of Azov. Vasiliev argued that these Christians might have had 'a
>drop of Crimean Gothic blood' in their veins. Thus, Vasiliev argued
>that there was really no population that could be called 'Crimean
>Goths' left in the 18th century. Only the fact that their were still
>Christians left after centuries of Muslim domination could indicate
>that these Christian Crimeans were  decendents of Crimean Goths.
>
>cheers
>Dirk

Dirk,

Here is from page  275. The question of what finally became of the
Crimean Goths presents no difficulties. As I have already pointed out
in this book, they were gradually hellenized and afterwards
tartarized; but in spite of centuries of Tartar and Turkish
domination most of them preserved their Greek-Orthodox faith. In 1778
a number of Crimean Christians who spoke Tartar emigrated from the
Peninsula to Russia. 'In those emigrants, and especially in those who
came from the heart of old Gothia, we must see the last descendants
of our Crimean Goths.' In their veins 'perhaps flowed some drops of
Gothic blood.'

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!