[gothic-l] Re: Scanza - Was: Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Jan 7 13:38:25 UTC 2002

>  >
>>  He has some tribal names common with Procopius. Others he has
>>  obtained from other sources.
>>
>>  The arechaeological finds are clear here.
>>  Tore
>>

>Tore,
>
>Neither Jordanes nor Procopius had a clear picture of the geography
>of Scandinavian region - maybe caused by an insufficient description
>from Ptolemeus.
>
>I also agree that Jordanes probably mixed up Gotland and the
>Scandinavian Peninsula under the name Scanza, but I am still not sure
>how you will split his description up today (I remember some earlier
>discussions).
>
>Do you agree, that III 19-23 describes the Scandinavian Peninsula?
>
>Troels

Troels,
There is no question that these deal with Thule (the Scandinavian peninsula)

Ptolomaios says that in Scandza live Chaedini, Favonae, Firaesi,
Finni, Gutae , Dauciones and Levoni

I am not sure which of Ptolomaios tribes Jordanes has included.

Here follows Jordanes list according to Mierow.

(19) Now in the island of Scandza, whereof I speak, there dwell many
and divers nations, though Ptolemaeus mentions the names of but seven
of them. There the honey-making swarms of bees are nowhere to be
found on account of the exceeding great cold. In the northern part of
the island the race of the Adogit live, who are said to have
continual light in midsummer for forty days and nights, and who
likewise have no clear light in the winter season for the same number
of days and nights. (20) By reason of this alternation of sorrow and
joy they are like no other race in their sufferings and blessings.
And why? Because during the longer days they see the sun returning to
the east along the rim of the horizon, but on the shorter days it is
not thus seen. The sun shows itself differently because it is passing
through the southern signs, and whereas to us the sun seem to rise
from below, it seems to go around them along the edge of the earth.
There also are other peoples. (21) There are the Screrefennae, who do
not seek grain for food but live on the flesh of wild beasts and
birds' eggs; for there are such multitudes of young game in the
swamps as to provide for the natural increase of their kind and to
afford satisfaction to the needs of the people. But still another
race dwells there, the Suehans, who, like the Thuringians, have
splendid horses. Here also are those who send through innumerable
other tribes the sappherine skins to trade for Roman use. They are a
people famed for the dark beauty of their furs and, though living in
poverty, are most richly clothed. (22) Then comes a throng of various
nations, Theustes, Vagoth, Bergio, Hallin, Liothida. All their
habitations are in one level and fertile region. Wherefore they are
disturbed there by the attacks of other tribes. Behind these are the
Ahelmil, Finnaithae, Fervir and Gauthigoth, a race of men bold and
quick to fight. Then come the Mixi, Evagre, and Otingis. All these
live like wild animals in rocks hewn out like castles. (23) And there
are beyond these the Ostrogoths, Raumarici, Aeragnaricii, and the
most gentle Finns, milder than all the inhabitants of Scandza. Like
them are the Vinovilith also. The Suetidi are of this stock and excel
the rest in stature. However, the Dani, who trace their origin to the
same stock, drove from their homes the Heruli, who lay claim to
preëminence among all the nations of Scandza for their tallness. (24)
Furthermore there are in the same neighborhood the Grannii, Augandzi,
Eunixi, Taetel, Rugi, Arochi and Ranii, over whom Roduulf was king
not many years ago. But he despised his own kingdom and fled to the
embrace of Theodoric, king of the Goths, finding there what he
desired. All these nations surpassed the Germans in size and spirit,
and fought with the cruelty of wild beasts.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!