[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jan 10 12:02:37 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Yes, Tore, I have been sceptic concerning the
> Eruli influence around Lake Maelaren for years
> but since I read  Barthi Guthmundsson's (former
> Keeper of the National Atrchives of Iceland)
> _The Origin of the Icelanders_ I have began
> changing my mind. There is obviously an
> East Scandinavian/East Germanic influence.

You are confusing East Scandinavian with East Germanic. East
Scandinavians are not East Germanic, but North Germanic.

> Guthmundsson presented (unfortunately he passed
> away all too early in 1957) some weighty arguments
> for what you mention. For instance G. mentions
> gothi-dom (priesthood with secular leadership)
> as not existing in West Nordic tradition.
>
> An interesting point is also the fertility cult of
> Frey that was prevalent on Iceland. That connects
> well with the cult that prevailed among the Goths,
> Eruli and others along the Baltic coast.

Where do you get this information that the the Frey cult prevailed
among the Goths and Eruli?

 Therefore
> at least the leaders of the original Icelandic
> immigration could be of East Scandinavian/
> East Germanic origin and  it is to them we
> maybe owe the Edda, the sagas. the skalds.

Once again, East Scandinavians have nothing to do with East Germanic
people.

Dirk

PS  Why do you always have to dig up such old authors? Some
significant short commings of Guthmundson's book were revealed on the
Germanic list some time ago.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!