[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 10 14:53:58 UTC 2002

--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
> I recently received two articles (one unpublished)
> by an
> Russian/Ukrainian author A. Sergeev, who wrote about
> Gothic coins
> from the Taman and north Black Sea area. I have some
> 30 coins of this
> series myself, which is otherwise practically
> unknown in the west.
> Sergeev reiterated earlier findings that state that
> these coins
> really were made by Goths from 260AD to 360AD. This
> attribution seems
> unbelivable, but there really seems to be no other
> candidate as
> originator of this coinage and all the evidence
> points to the Goths.
> If that was really true it would change our
> understanding of the
> Goths and Gothic life in that area quite a bit,
> because these are low
> value coins intended from small short distance trade
> directed towards
> the north Caucasus.
>

> Dirk
>
> PS  I can write/talk about coins for hours

*****GK: Hello Dirk!
What you write here is extremely interesting. Could
you say something more about these possibly Gothic
coins? I take it that they differ sufficiently from
the coinage of the Bosporan Kingdom to be viewed as
they are by Sergeev?*****

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

FREE COLLEGE MONEY