[gothic-l] Goths, Eruli in the East and Pritsak

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 10 20:50:41 UTC 2002

Thank you for providing the list with more information
on Professor Pritsak's book. It is a great pity that
the rest of the volumes have not so far been published,
but it is my hope that they will be eventually.

Professor Pritsak also wrote about the Eruli and how part
of that people remigrated to Scandinavia. I think what he
wrote about the Goths and the Eruli is of great interest in
the approach to the Gothic question.

What I admire most in _The Origin of Rus_ is the profound
analysis of the transmission of epic and mythic lays from
the migration period to Old Norse literature and especially
the importance of the Eruli in this transmission. But they were
probably not the originators of the material, only transmitters.
The originators were most likely the Goths.

Yes, I remain unimpressed by the work of Wolfram and
Heather, which doesn't mean that their works are
of interest depicting one theory. The question of the
origins of the Goths is a complex one and they have of
course not provided the final answer. It is possible the
answer cannot be found but there is much material and
research pointing to a south Scandinavian origin. Much
of this material has been provided on this list and as you mention
the archives provide an excellent source for those who
want to study the complexities of the enigma of the origin of the
Goths.

New aspects and angles appear all the time and it is
of interest, I think, that listmembers are given the
opportunity to make themselves familiar with a variation
of theories. If one is believing that Wolfram and Heather
are presenting the solution, there is of course no
need for further information.

Bertil Haggman

Omeljan Pritsak is a famous historian and orientalist specialized in Central
Asian and Altaic studies and Russian and Ucrainian history. This book was
planned to be the first in a series of six volumes, of which however only this
one was finished by the author.

It really amazing how you remain unimpressed by every scientific argument
and repeat things after some time has passed. But you should not forget that
there is an archive of our discussions where people might freshen up their
memories.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!