[gothic-l] Goths, Eruli in the East

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 10 21:03:27 UTC 2002

Tore,

Am pleased that you liked _The Origin of the Icelanders_
and it does indeed provide much food for thought.
I think the University of Nebraska Press has provided
a great service by having published the material in
an English translation. The essays of Barthi Guthmundsson
would otherwise have remained unknown to the world
outside Scandinavia, even Iceland.

I was struck by the strong relation to East Scandinavian
sources of both Beowulf and Ynglingatal and the heroic
lays of the Edda. G. points especially to the traditions
from the islands and shore islands of the Baltic, and the
legends from areas once dominated by the Goths and the
Huns. After all the East Germanic influence was stronger
in east Scandinavia.

The Vendel area seems to provide much evidence of
influence of Byzantium and Italy. These important questions
have so far only been scrapings on the surface. These subjects
have to be given a much deeper study and I am looking forward
to further works by you on the matter.

You mention shortcomings in the G. book, but it must be
remembered that he passed away in 1957 and that it is
quite possible that had he been alive he would have wanted
to do changes and additions.After all the book was published
ten years after his death.

Gothically/erulically

Bertil

I have also read Guthmundsson's book and there are some interesting
things in it.
Even if there are some shortcomings in the book there are many things
to compare to other sources.

It is also important to know in which century we are talking.

The forming of the Gothic culture in the Vistula area is one era.

After that we have plenty of movements of peoples in Europe.

In the 6th century we have a new ruling class with a new religion
moving into Scandinavia.

They consolidate in the Lake Mälar Area and begin their expansion eastwards.

There are plenty of Scandinavian graveyards in Balticum and present
day Russia from the 7th century and forwards.
  It has been considered as Swedish and Gotlandic colonies after the
Swedes and Gotlanders made a trade and defence treaty mid 6th century.

The Gotlandic and Swedish gravfields are normally ketp apart.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM