[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Jan 11 09:50:03 UTC 2002

>Troels,
>
>the following link takes you to a map of the Byzantine/East Roman
>mints.
>
>http://americanhistory.si.edu/csr/nnc/byzant/imapmint.htm
>
>The map states a timeframe from 498 to 1453. However, the main mints
>were the same in the period 450 to 500. Of course, Carthage was ruled
>by the Vandals at that time and the Italian mints were under
>Ostrogothic control from 488 or so. Also, the mints of Sirmium in
>Pannonia is omitted on the map. But it was a very minor mint and
>operative only from about 504 after closing at the end of the 4th
>century. Also, missing are most of the western mints of greater
>significance, like Arles and Lyon, but especially Milan. Trier, which
>was a major mint in the 4th century seized operations in the early
>5th century. Also missing are all the Frankish and Visigothic mints
>like Toulouse, Bordeaux, Cologne, Marseille etc.
>
>I think it it fair to say that the vast majority of gold coins minted
>in the 5th century would have been produced by Constantinopel,
>Ravenna, Rome and Milan. Of these Milan and Ravenna would have been
>the northern-most.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Dirk,

I have no Fagerlies book and I have posted the conslusions on
http://w1.855.telia.com/~u85528681/Fagerlie/fagerlieconclus/default.htm

9 pages.

I think these 9 pages can bring some order into our debate.

Tore

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!