[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 11 15:11:56 UTC 2002

--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello George,
>
> can I ask what 'Sindic' means. Is that a people or
> kingdom?

*****GK: The recent work of Oleg Trubachov (published
in 1999. I have only read those portions which
appeared earlier as discrete articles and am trying to
get the new volume) has conclusively demonstrated that
the Sinds and Maeoti (tribes which inhabited the
Tamanian area and the shores of the Azov sea up to the
mouth of the Don) were Indo-Aryan in speech, and were
"left behind" when the main cohorts of this ethnos
moved southeastwards beginning in the early 2nd
millennium BC. The Sinds [They were already mentioned
by Herodotus as neighbours of the Scythians who
"visited" them in wintertime by crossing the iced-up
strait of Kertch in waggons. We know them as "Indians"
or "Hindus" because Iranic language intermediaries
have dropped the initial "s" or substituted an "h" for
it] had their own state in the period ca. 500-350 BC,
with a capital at Sindika. They were incorporated into
the Bosporan Kingdom in the 4th c. BC and their
capital was renamed "Gorgippia". Evidence from Pliny
suggests that they had retained their linguistic
peculiarities into the 1rst c. AD. Afterwards they
increasingly came under the influence of Sarmatians
and were progressively Iranized.*******

>(D) In the Russian/Ukrainian literature, the coins
were
> also
> called 'moneti neizvestnogo naroda', i.e. coins of
> the unknown
> people. Can you venture a guess who could have
> produced highly
> abstract imitations of Roman denari in this area
> between 260AD and
> 360AD?

*****GK: I could try though this would only be a
"guess". What additional information is available as
to the "cultural context" (archaeologically) of these
coins? Are there Welbark or Chernyakhiv
(Cernyachov)elements there? Or is it something else
entirely?*****

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!