[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 11 16:41:17 UTC 2002

--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
(Re Sinds and Sindika):
> Very interesting, but they seemed to have had no
> link with western
> Europe, which could have caused them to imitate
> Roman denari.

*****GK: True for the period of their known
independence. After the defeat of Mithradates, the
Bosporan Kingdom had very close relations with the
Roman Empire (their rulers all adopted the name
"Iulius Tiberius" as part of their royal title from
the 1rst c. AD). After the Gothic invasion of eastern
Europe the B.K. went through a series of "times of
troubles", and it cannot be ruled out that some
component thereof began to produce its own coinage. I
shall investigate this further.*****

(D)A number of the coins that I have
> were found in or
> near a place called 'Novyi Svit' in the south of the
> Crimean.

*****GK: Novyj Svit is a village right next door (just
a few kilometers) to the town of Sudak. Sudak is the
ancient Sugdeia (later Surozh, Soldaia) which was
founded in the early 3rd c. AD as a settlement of
ALANS. BTW this Alanic group seemed to have been
largely made up of practicing Zoroastrians. Just
possibly they are the "unknown people" of your
source.*****

>(D) According to the existing grouping these coins
date
> from about 300 to
> 350AD. But this may not be of any help in narrowing
> down the group of
> possible originators.
>
> Do you have easy access to a journal called 'Vestnik
> Drevnei Istorii'
> (apologies for my transliteration)? Kazamanova's
> articles are
> published in this journal.

*****GK: I have asked our university librarian. Could
this be a new (post 1991) name for some older
journal?*****

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!