[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Fri Jan 11 19:31:50 UTC 2002

Hi Tore,

*snip*

> Oskar,
>
> The reason you don't find any Swedish historians dealing with this
> matter is that there are no Swedish historians interested in the time
> before about1000 CE.

I have since long searched for a good book on the history of Lake Mälaren
and its vincinities, but to no avail. The books discussing what little is known has
made NO references to migrations of Heruls.

> The historians say it belongs to the archaeologists, but
> archaeologists are not supposed to deal with history. That is not
> their subject. Of course we had guys like Birger Nerman but he had
> problem combining the known facts with his history.
>
> So if it is not the Heruls that make these big changes in the 6th
> century in the Lake Mälar Area, which other people do you know of
> that might have immigrated?
> This is virgin area.

I am not sure that we have to have immigration to make this change in culture.
If there indeed was a Herul migration to Lake Mälaren region, how come they
influenced it so much? Did people accept their authority or were they so many
in numbers that they could have gained control over the region?
Personally I just find it very hard to accept this theory of Herul immigration
because I don't find the evidence conclusive enough. Maybe in the future more books
will present more evidence and connections and we will reevaluate the issue, but
until then I find it hard to accept it.
Perhaps you will write a more detailed book on this issue, Tore?

> Tore
> --

Best,
Oskar