[gothic-l] _The Origin of Rus_ I

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Jan 11 19:32:30 UTC 2002

>(Some additional information about Omeljan Pritsak)
>
>******GK: Pritsak retired from Harvard in 1989 (He is
>now 82 years old). After Ukraine regained its
>independence, he moved there and became the head of
>the Oriental Institute of the Ukrainian Academy of
>Sciences. Pritsak is primarily a Turkologist. The
>reason why he did not continue publishing the rest of
>his intended "Origin of Rus'" materials is due to the
>fact that book 1 was subjected to many scathing
>reviews (not altogether fairly) by the international
>scholarly community. There are, of course, areas where
>Pritsak allowed his imagination to override his better
>judgement, but on balance, the book contained many
>worthwhile contributions to science. One of his most
>interesting (and controversial) theories is that
>Snorri's Odin story reflects the period of the reform
>of the older futhark, an enterprise, Pritsak contends,
>which could only have been accomplished by someone
>familiar with Turkic. He dates this in the later 8th
>c. and connects it with Scandinavian-Khazar relations.******

Thanks for the information George,

I haven't read anything by Pritsak only extracts.

I just happed to find a Harward page on the web and made the list aware of it.

I can understand that Pritsak dated the Turkic link to the 8th
century as there were wellknown trade relations between Gotland and
the Khazar at that time.

Also the Heruls must have had Turkic contacts depending on how we
look at Prokopius. If we accept Procopius we have the link in the 6th
century.
If we prefer to defame Prokopius we have problem.

My experience is that in every story there is something of truth.
Some parts can be destorted, others not.

Tore