[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 11 20:13:03 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Oskar Andersson" <o.andersson at g...> wrote:
> Hi Einar!
>

> Sorry Einar, I misinterpreted what you wrote!
> And yes, we have a historical source for this migration called
> Procopius. Mayhap some Heruls indeed did migrate to
> Scandinavia, but there's still the problem of verifying that very
> piece of evidence through archaeology and analysis - a verification
> that I find incomplete so far.
>

> *snip*
>

> Best,
> Oskar

  ****Einar. Hæ Oskar. I agree with you. Procopius story has not been
verified but I do indeed know very little about what is happening in
archaeological reaserch in Sweden and Denmark.
Maybe archaeologist have not been trying to find a link. Same with
Icelandic archaeologists. They are not looking for a connection to
the Celts so they do not find much.
They even try to deny that there are remains of Celtic building
structures in Iceland and that the earliest graveyards are laid out
and structured as graveyards from the British Isles. That is as in
Celtic Christianity in the past.
These days I do not trust archaeologists so much. I rather trust
genetic scientists and what they have to say.
Archaeologists can just interpret from their findings,not what they
do not find. Or do not want to find.
Many early burials in Iceland are Christian though being classified
as Pagan.

Could it be that reaserch with the specific aim of finding East
Germanic influence in Scandinavia has simply not been done?

Bless,bless Einar.