[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Jan 11 22:29:29 UTC 2002

>  >
>>  You are right.
>>  There are certain scolars that have suggested that jarl, earl might
>>  have someting to do with Eruli.
>>
>>  Tore
>>  --
>
>Indeed, but as far as I have remembered this has been the topic for
>debate among scholars too. It is far from certain. Another word with
>connections claimed to the Heruli is that of "erilaz," found on rune stones.
>
>I am not too updated on the etymology subject, but I take for granted that
>some significant research has been done since Hellquist's Etymological
>Lexicon!
>
>Best,
>Oskar

Oskar,
I don't think there has been much done lately in this area.

Åke Ohlmarks published something called "Fornnordiskt lexikon" 1982

Under "Jarladömen" he states that there have been Jarls in Sweden
since king Adils middle of 6th century,

Where he got that from I don't know.

However that is exactly the Heruls we are talking about.

Tore

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!