[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sun Jan 13 16:34:35 UTC 2002

>  >
>>  Oskar,
>>  I don't think there has been much done lately in this area.
>>
>>  Åke Ohlmarks published something called "Fornnordiskt lexikon" 1982
>>
>>  Under "Jarladömen" he states that there have been Jarls in Sweden
>>  since king Adils middle of 6th century,
>>
>>  Where he got that from I don't know.
>>
>>  However that is exactly the Heruls we are talking about.
>>
>>  Tore
>>  --
>
>I have checked Ohlmarks' Lexikon, but he states no sources for this
>note, as you said. Although a very interesting writer I think Ohlmarks was
>a little too uncritical in some things he wrote.
>The idea of "Jarladömen" is very interesting - indeed, but I am not too
>sure of to what extent they actually did exist. What other historians mentions
>them from 550 and forward?
>
>Best,
>Oskar

Oskar,
Your are quite right. I wouldn't dare to quote him if I can't find
other sources that backs his statements. What is good about him is
that one can get new ideas for searching.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!