[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 14 10:08:56 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Do you have easy access to a journal called 'Vestnik
> > Drevnei Istorii'
> > (apologies for my transliteration)? Kazamanova's
> > articles are
> > published in this journal.
> >

> > cheers,
> > Dirk
>
> *****Hello Dirk!
> Well our Librarian checked and we don't have the
> journal, unfortunately. So I'll have to depend on your
> kindness to check this out when you have time.
>
> Cheers,
> George *********

Hello George,

I re-read the Kazamanova article. She does not refere to
archaeological cultures like Chernyakhov or Wielbark. She only
mentiones a number of find places of these coins and provides a
distribution map. Important hoard have been found in an
archaeological context at Tiritaki and Fanagori, both on the Taman
peninsula and other hoards are concentrated on the Kerch peninsula
and south eastern Crimea. A large number of single finds have also
been made in the north Caucasus. Kazamanova provides also a map of
other imitations of Roman denari showing a spread from Sosnovoe,
Gorodok, Orgeev, Ternovka, Chersones down to the Crimea and Taman.

cheers,
Dirk

PS the journal 'Vestnik Drevnei Istorii' existed under this title for
a long time. One author N.A. Sakharov has written an article about
these coins called 'Moneti neisvestogo naroda' in this journal in
1937.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!