[gothic-l] Old Gutnish texts and inscriptions

liaugn spry at ONEBOX.COM
Tue Jan 15 01:41:43 UTC 2002

Hi, my name is Anna-Carin Gahm and I'm new to this list.
I have gone through a bit of the archives and found that there is a
big gap in reliable texts and information regarding gutnish and old
gutnish. Although many have already made up their mind regarding the
gutnish/gothic connection, I think that one should not be so quick to
decide. One have to keep in mind that it differs many years between
Wulfilas bible and for example the Old Gutnish law from the 14th
century - 1000 years is a long time. Even though Old Gutnish changes
relativly little in several hundred years, one can clearly see that
the earliest inscriptions (although they are few), shows a more
different language.
Some people think that gutnish looks very "swedishish". Well, if you
look at the most modern gutnish, then you will draw that conclusion.
The modern gutnish is very "swedishized" and have lost many of its
characteristics from Old Gutnish. The fact is that you will have to
its contrast to swedish and other nordic languages.
The gutnish textexamples that has circled on this list are not
allways satisfactory.

I'm putting out links to a couple of sites regarding Old Gutnish if
anyone wants to look a bit closer upon the language. One of them with
some old gutnish inscriptions and the other a old gutnish wordlist:

http://runur.fateback.com/inscr.htm

http://nenna.bebto.com/index.htm

I don't have any good examples from early old gutnish but I will try
to find some to post upon this list.

/ Anna-Carin Gahm

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search