[gothic-l] Re: Accepting Elias Wessens Conclusion

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 16 10:22:54 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> The recent book by Kaliff offers som good insight into
> the archaelogical finds and the relations between Goths
> and South Scandinavia on all sides of the Baltic Sea.
> I would have to refer you to that book.
>
> I don't think designating the goths as "thugs" is very helpful.

I used this term to emphasise the qualitative difference to the
name 'regnum Ostrogotorum' which you used and which I think is not
historically correct. Also I put the term in apostrophs to mark its
unofficial nature. I agree, 'warrior' sounds better, but what it
often came down to is the extortionist behaviour by thugs.

The title seems to be "Gudaträd och västgötska skottkungar – Sveriges
bysantinska arv"

Dirk

> Would have to refer you to the RLK book. The title was put on this
list
> by me in some bibliographical notes of January 11, 2002. I
> apologize for being too busy right now to find it for you, but I
> am sure you can discover it in the archives.
>
> Bertil Haggman
>
> > How do they reconcile this with the archaeological evidence which
> > shows that the material culture of the Wielbark-Goths and people
in
> > Scandinavia was very different, causing all major archaeologist
> > reject an Scandinavian origin of the Goths?
> > What is the title of that book, please?
>
> > I think it is important to fill this high-flying term 'regnum
> > Ostrogotorum' with some flesh. It likely meant that a 'bunch of
> > Gothic (not Ostrogothic) thugs' appeared in these areas from time
> > time to extort tributes.
> >
> > What does this 'myths' say exactly? What is its source and name?
This
> > subordination, does it include tribute payments, referal of
important
> > decision to the Gothic king? How long would it take for Gothic
envoys
> > to travel from the region north of the Black Sea to Scandinavia
> > enforce this subordination?

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/zWCYWA/7XkDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM