[gothic-l] Accepting Elias Wessens Conclusion

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 17 10:20:02 UTC 2002

This is interesting. Have never seen the term "Regnum
Greuthungorum" before. Personally I prefer to rely
on Jordanes here with the information that Ermanaric
subdued the Aesti, who dwell on the farthest shore of
the Germanic Ocean, and ruled all the nations of Scythia
and Germania by his own prowess.

A majority of scholars do, I believe, identify the Aestii as
the ancient Balts, forerunners of the Old Prussians,
Lithuanians and Latvians. One important point here seems
to be the association with amber and amber trade. Jordanes
described the Balts-Aestii as "the most preaceable race
of men". This fits well with the much later Einhard, who
locates them, along with the Slavs, on the southern shores
of the Baltic.

Bertil Haggman

> More properly the "regnum Greuthungorum".
> Basically because Ammianus (who almost certainly had
> it from the Goths themselves) makes no such claim,
> either explicitly or implicitly. He merely notes that
> Hermanaric was "a very warlike king" feared by his
> neighbours because of his many military exploits
> (rather than conquests, or even tribute impositions).
> This is more in line with other passages of Jordanes
> describing loud if ephemeral Gothic victories over
> Gepids and Vandals not commensurate with
> empire-building. And the struggle of Vithimiris with
> the Alans is not prefaced with any statement about
> some collapse of empire.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!