[gothic-l] Goths, Eruls and Scandinavian Southeast Europe Contacts

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 17 19:12:05 UTC 2002

Einar,

The evidence has been presented on the list for
years both by linguists and historians. The inter-
pretation of a number of runestones in Sweden
and Norway have been that the word erilaR,
which is relatively common on Scandinavian
runestones, is taken to mean Eruli/Erul. I can
recommend several articles by Martin on the
origin of the name of the people Eruli and on
the Eruli in one of the leading encyclopedias
on Germanic study.

I think the reasons for the claim concerning the
inheritance laws of Vaerend being influenced
by the Eruli are presented in my article. Not long
ago this subject was also discussed on the list so
what I can do is recommend you to check the
archives and I am sure von Friesen is available
on Iceland.

I think the Vaerend example fits well with Barthi.

Erulically

Bertil

This is interesting. Why do they say that.? Do they have any strong
evidence/arguments for this claim? Are they professionals,linguists
etc? Some info. would be appreciated.

In your very informative and interesting article in Migracijske teme
and in  Alvar Ellegard´s article about the Eruli(Scandia) you talk
about Otto von Friesen´s claims about the laws of inheritance on the
female side in Värend-Sweden and connecting this to the Heruli.
How could he claim so?
Very interesting because the East Scand. chieftainly families
connected with skaldship,swine worship, etc did  respect women very
much which is obvious when reading Barði´s book. Women of those
families enjoyed a much higher status than normal in society.
That is reflected in name practices etc,etc.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yWCYWA/6XkDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM