[gothic-l] Re: Hello

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Fri Jan 18 12:23:55 UTC 2002

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at N...> wrote:
> > Can someone tell me why there were only VisiGoths and OstroGoths
> and no
> > Nordsce or SudaGoths.
>

> Hi,
>
> your question seems to be based on a common misunderstanding, which
> translates Ostrogoth with Eastern Goth and Visigoth with Western
> Goths. In reality these names meant something pertaining to 'the
> splendid, glorious or shining' and have nothing to do with east and
> west, so there should also be no question about south and north.
>

> cheers,
> Dirk

Hi Bateman,

Ostrogoth means, according to Wolfram, "Goths of the Rising Sun." That name
being aligned with the Greuthungi. This name was first mentioned in late 4th century, I think (again
according to Wolfram) but it doesn't mean it didn't exist prior.
The label Visigoth was a later invention of Cassiodorus dating back to the 6th century and
was used as a geographical denominator - differenting between the Goths in Gaul/Spain
and those under Theodoric in Italy (see Wolfram again).

To try to discern Southern or Northern Goths is pretty useless. Tervingi-Vesi, Greuthungi-
Ostrogoths and Visi/Ostro among other differentiations are enough to designate various
subdivisions throughout Gothic history!

I recommend you Herwig Wolfram's and Peter Heather's authoritative books on the history
of the Goths!

Best,
Oskar