[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Jan 18 12:35:25 UTC 2002

>Tore,
>
>Fagerlie's book which appeared in the 1960s is unfortunately based on
>outdated historical and archaeological sources, which not only
>influenced, but even drove her interpretations. She linked sporadic
>finds to contacts for which there is no evidence and which are not
>likely. For example, seeking to link a Leontius coin of Antioch to
>the Ostrogoths is highly contrived and not believable. If you read
>modern literature on this field you will find that these
>interpretations are no longer accepted. The leading expert on
>Ostrogothic (and late Roman) coinage M. Metlich stated that
>Fagerlie's interpretations are untenable. Her book should not be used
>to bring order to this discussion, unfortunately.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
I now have the book mentioned by you,

Money of the Incipient
Byzantine Empire
(Anastasius I- Justinian I, 491-565)

Wolfgang Hahn with the collaboration of M.A.Metlich

I can't see that there is anything that conflicts with Fagerlie.

Metlich deals with coins from Anastasius to Justinian I.

Fagerlie deals with coins prior to this.

For all the Anastasius solidis the striking seems to have been done
in Constantinopel except for some in Thessalonica.

According to Metlich none were struck in Italy.

I can only find Fagerlies name in the Bibliography.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!