[gothic-l] Goths, Eruls and Scandinavian Southeast Europe Contacts

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jan 18 17:51:02 UTC 2002

Einar,

Check out the archives and read Marvin Taylor,
would be my recommendation. It is of value to
include a discussion of the "ek erilaR" texts for
understanding the context. For the RLK book I
would have to refer you to the authors.

Yes, the extensive debate was before the fall of
2001.

The detailed argument on the inheritance laws
see my earlier contributions in the archive. Contact
me for further info or do a check of the archive.
I will see if I can find them, also.

My understanding must be somehow limited but  I
did not ask about the word erilaR nor any runestones.
I was asking about this claim made by these authors in my letter 5640
to you were you said: " Certain parts of the Edda according to these
reaserches, had been directly translated from Gothic to Icelandic".

If you are saying that this is accepted by linguists etc, then I am
very happy. I have just never heard it before. Nor seen it in writing.
But my question would be as before: Why do they say that?
This is of course very important for obvious reasons.

Actually, Von Friesens writings about that subject are
not avilable up here and I will read your article again. I must have
missed the argumentation. I guess I should read more slowly. I seem
to have missed the discussion about this subject too so it must have
happened before last autumn.

Yes,but there have to be some substance behind the claims
of Von Friesen otherwise such claims are not worth much. I will try
to find out. This is both interesting and important so I thank you
very much for bringing this to my attention.

Erulically

Bertil

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!