[gothic-l] The extent of Ermanarik's realm

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Jan 20 15:25:33 UTC 2002

 Golthescytha is a direct quote from Jordanes.
By others it is regarded as a people name,
although it might as a coincident end with an "a".

So the "Primary Chronicle" was written before
_Getica_?

Are you in the case of the Mordva referring
to the Mordvines and their entity?

10-11 and 17 in the Mierow translation has no
description of Germania as far as I can see.
The word is mentioned but 10-11 is as far as
I see e description of Britain. I can find no
description of Germania in 17. Maybe be you
can help here?

Scythia is described in 30-31 and there is a
comment: "On the west are the Germans
(Germanics?) and the river Vistula."

Bertil Haggman

"Golthescytha" is an adulatory epithet affixed
> to Hermanaric "the Golden Scythian", not a reference
> to a people.

>"Thiudos" is clearly "people". This word was
> borrowed into the Primary Chronicle of Kyiv and meant
> either the Estonians (short sense) or the Finno-Ugrian
> peoples of the north (extensive sense). In Old East
> Slavic "Thiudos" became "Chud' " (T-SHOOD'). "Aunxis"
> has been identified as a region abutting on Finnish
> Karelia.

> The only clear thing about this is that "Vas"
> are the "Ves'" of the Lake Onega region, an Ugro-Finn
> people also well known to the compilers of the Kyivan
> Chronicle.

> These are the Merya and Mordva of the Primary
> chronicle. The latter still exist today. They have an
> autonomous republic in Russia.******

> From this point on the names are garbled
> beyond adequate recovery, though a plausible
> interpretation on "Imniscaris" as "in Miscaris" has
> recently been offered (where Miscaris is "Meshcherya"
> which is located to the south of the Mordva).

> Actually both Antes and Sclaveni (and Venethi
> for that matter) are those we would call Slavs. There
> is no problem here.

> The
> sections of the Getica to reread in the latter are:
> 10-11, 17, 30-37.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!