[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East-Migration period legends.

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Sun Jan 20 05:10:36 UTC 2002

Hi,

*snip*

> > What is the source that states the the Skjoldungar are the
> > descendants of the Heruli???
>
> ****Einar; Now I have to trust my memory. N.C Lukman claims so and
> did a lot of reaserch into that matter.. Claus Krag in his book from
> 1991(about Ynglingar and Ynglinga traditions) does very,very much
> agree with him. And he is a respected scholar. Just like Lukman
> actually.
> Another scholar with the name of I think Elias Wiesen(very likely not
> rightly written here) claims so too but I have not seen his writings.
> I guess that because Claus Krag does accept Lukmans ideas and found
> them convincing I do guess that many other scholars do agree with him.
> But as for now I do not know of other scholars.

I assume you are referring to Elias Wessén (1889-1981), a Swedish linguist who was
fellow of Svenska Akademin (anyone has a short biography of him? Please post it
to my adress, or here if you find it suiting the topics).
I'd be interesting in reading this part, and I ask any member familiar with this
passage to send me some references on it. I have some books from him, and although
some ideas are clearly of old, he has many interesting ideas and a credible research
in most cases.

> *** Thanks for your kind comments. Bless,bless Einar.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Dirk

Thanks,
Oskar