[gothic-l] Recommendation

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Tue Jan 22 20:33:14 UTC 2002

Hi Bertil,

> Oskar,
>
> Certainly it is your right to speak out
> against the recommendation of Professor
> Lars Hermodssons book _Goterna_.
> Many reviewers have found it valuable
> and I agree with them.

You are entitled to whatever feelings you
might have for this book. I am just trying
to discuss the errors qouted here.

> Yes, but what has the attack to do with
> Lars Hermodsson's book? Maybe I
> missed the quotes. Where they provided
> by Tore?

You just quoted one in your last mail, remember?
If they are misquotes, then I am attacking the one
who has written them, be it you or whoever. IDGAF
I.e. it does not matter too much to me who really
wrote them, I attack them because they are wrong -
and this time Hermodsson seems to be the perpetrator!

> If you don't like Professor Hermodsson's
> work that's fine with me. There is no
> historical truth concerning the Goths so
> let everybody read whatever they want.

I am not dictating what to read, I am just opposing
unsound ideas. About historical truths, well, that is
too much of philosophy to discuss here.
Let's just say there are some authorities with the most
credible research and those are to be considered authorities
because of this!

> Here are some of the recommendations
> of Professor Hermodsson in his
> bibliography in the 1993 book:
>
> Toennes Kleberg, _Silverbibeln_, third
> edition, Uppsala 1981.
>
> Lars Hermodsson, "Silverbibelns väg till
> Werden", _Humanistiska Vetenskaps-
> samfundets i Uppsala Aarsbok_ 1986).
>
> Wolfram, Herwug, _History of the Goths_ (1988).

I think it is obvious that he never read Wolfram, or perhaps
never managed to get it right there. Or maybe he just like you
denied Wolfram's careful analysis of Gothic history?

> On linguistics:
>
> Braune, Wilh., _Gotische Grammatik_, 19th edition,
> Tuebingen 1981.
>
> Stutz, Elfriede, _Gotische Literaturdenkmaeler_,
> Sammlung Metzler, Stuttgart, 1966.
>
> Thought maybe these secondary sources might
> be of interest.

Thank you, anyway!

> Gothically
>
> Bertil