[gothic-l] The Formation of the Goths

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Jan 22 19:55:38 UTC 2002

Thank you for your comment. I value your information on facts
but I am sorry I cannot agree with your conclusions.

May I quote Wolfram again:

"Swedish Vaestergoetland and Ostergoetland, however,
as well as the island of Gotland, are not merely Gothicized but
actual Gothic-Gautic names. The similarity of the name of
the Gothic people and that of the island of Gotland seems
to support the migration legend of _Origo Gothica_.
This area was also the home of the medieval Gutasaga,
which relates that overpopulation led the people to draw
lots and the inhabitants thus chosen emigrated."

Most certainly recent research and scholarship on the
Goths in Scandinavia have nothing to do with 17th
century Gothicism, which flourished in many countries
including Austria.

I have already provided a very short bibliographic
list on recently published books that are of interest
for further study of Goths and their history. They have
nothing to do with Gothicism.

It is my hope that with your knowledge you do not
accept a thesis that for instance someone like Heather
is presenting a history of the formation of the Goths
that is the "historical truth" or "close to historical truth".

Bertil Haggman

I am really struck by your way of distorting a scholarly view. Let me
complete the sentence on p.37 of Wolfram's book after your dots:

"..., the more so since the picture of a Gothic migration from one
end of Europe to another certainly does not do justice to historical
reality."

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!