[gothic-l] Dieupentale/(in)Diupindala

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 23 13:53:45 UTC 2002

Philippe,

Your question is very interesting. Comparing the
village name of Dieupentale to modern Swedish
would result in "Djupadal" or 'deep valley', a striking
similarity. The research in placenames with Gothic
relation is and interesting subject.

Gothically

Bertil

> Hi, my name is Philippe Heidet and I'm new to this list.
> I would like to know if there are some studies about wisigothic  settlements
> in South-West of France. It seems that gothic language only disappeared in
> the middle of the 9th century in some areas. Especially, I think about the
> village called 'Dieupentale' [(in) diupin dala -- deep valley] and also all
> the villages with the suffix '-ens' like 'Bessens' or '-ville' like
> 'Aucamville'.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM