[gothic-l] Gothic Placenames?

Giuseppe Pagliarulo g.pagliarulo at TIN.IT
Wed Jan 23 22:32:23 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "faltin2001" <dirk at smra.co.uk>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 3:10 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Gothic Placenames?

> I was wondering if there are undisputed Gothic place names in Italy,

Yes, there are.

> southern France and Spain? Does anybody have a list of Gothic place
> names?

I can give you some Italian examples. We have a few placenames
mentioning the Goths' name, e.g. _Goito_, _Gudi_, _Gudo_ and even
_Sant'Agata dei Goti_ "St. Agata of the Goths". Almost all other
Gothic placenames are derived from personal names. Here are the ones
I'm aware of:
Marengo
Buttanengo
(Villa) Alais