[gothic-l] Storgoticism

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Jan 24 07:24:43 UTC 2002

>Hail All!
>   Has anyone heard of the Storgoticism of Johannes Magnus, 1554,
>Uppsala, Sweden?  From what I could gather, it actually had its
>origins much earlier, he only condified it.  He was also the last
>Catholic Bishop of Uppsala.  And apparently it was a belief system
>that held the Goths at its core.
>   It first emerged around 1200, within a century after the conversion.
>The main catalyst seems to be in 1434, according to the records of a
>Church Council held in Basel, the Spainish claimed precedence in a
>matter over the English because they (the Spainish) were identical
>with the Goths and therefore the elder nation.  To this the Swedish
>replied that in such case Sweden held precedence because they were
>they nation from which the Goths stemmed.
>   The great Storgotic reformer, Johannes Bureus 1568-1652, was a
>tutor and advisor to King Gustavus Adolphus.  By 1630, Bureus was
>made Antiquary Royal at the University at Uppsala, and it was deemed
>that all future holders of the Chair would have to be versed in the
>ancient Runic script.
>   Any further information would be greatly appreciated.
>Ves Heil!
>Odhvaknir

You are correct. That is when it started with the idea about
Västergötland and Östergötland.
These two parts became very important at that time and probably
needed a history.

Jan Guillou has been very popular with his novels dealing with that
time in these two areas.

Tore