[gothic-l] Re: Dieupentale/(in)Diupindala

Sahin Ahmet ahmetsahinn at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 25 09:37:16 UTC 2002

 interesting, is there a clear cut selection of endings as to the tribes?

In fact the '-ingen' endings extent far beyond Alamannic areas, but
assumed some significance in distinguishing supposedly Alamannic '-
ingen' settlements from Frankish '-heim' settlements. But as I said
there are many '-ingen' placenames in North Germany. My hometown is
called Wittingen (North Germany/Lower Saxony) and is first recorded
in 783AD as 'Witinge', while old 'gau' (area) names in this region
are 'Doringo', 'Bardingo' etc.

cheers,
Dirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM