[gothic-l] Re: Dieupentale/(in)Diupindala

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 28 12:28:19 UTC 2002

Hi Philippe and Sahin,

you are probably aware that Erwig Wolfram has a brief discussion of
these placenames in his book 'The Goths'. I would have to re-read
this, but I think he said that the Visigoths had been largely bi-
lingual and Romanised already at the time when they received the
federal treaty in the early 5th century (c.418AD). On the other hand,
he confirmed that Gothic personal names were still used in the 10th
century. I think he also warned against regarding all names that seem
to be derived from an ending '-ingos' as Gothic, arguing that a
Roman/Iberaian ending '-incus' can also have been the basis in many
cases.

I suppose that one reason for the small number of Gothic placenames
lies in the fact that the Goths were moving into populated
territories, were the best settlement spots were already taken and
named. If they had to set up a new settlement and give it a name they
may have been forced to use second-choice places, which tended to
fall out of use more quickly in later periods at times of plaque, or
famine.

cheers,
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., Sahin Ahmet <ahmetsahinn at y...> wrote:
> >
> >  interesting, is there a clear cut selection of endings as to the
> tribes?
> >
> > In fact the '-ingen' endings extent far beyond Alamannic areas,
but
> > assumed some significance in distinguishing supposedly
Alamannic '-
> > ingen' settlements from Frankish '-heim' settlements. But as I
said
> > there are many '-ingen' placenames in North Germany. My hometown
is
> > called Wittingen (North Germany/Lower Saxony) and is first
recorded
> > in 783AD as 'Witinge', while old 'gau' (area) names in this
region
> > are 'Doringo', 'Bardingo' etc.
> >

> Hi Sahin,
>
> my examples were intended to show that there was likely not a clear-
> cut distinction between tribes, but perhaps between Germanic
> dialects, i.e. West- and East- Germanic. But I know not enough
about
> that and it is only a guess. Also, the gau-name provided by me
above
> should be 'Bardengo' not 'Bardingo' (it is first attested in the
8th
> century.
>
> cheers
> Dirk