[gothic-l] Gothic words?

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 28 12:40:06 UTC 2002

I came across two old Bavarian words, which are apparently still
used, but which have no parallel in modern German.

The first word is 'stuatdage', meaning 'judgement day'. The word is
attested already in the Bavarian epos 'Muspilli', which dates to
about 810AD. The form there is 'stuatago'. Now, the Ulfila bible has
the term 'in dago stauos', which might be the origin of the word.

Another old Bavarian term that I have encountered only recently and
which is considered to be Gothic is 'dult' meaning festival'.

cheers,

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM