[gothic-l] Counts of Coimbra ?

mazgallos cdecarvalho at CLIX.PT
Sun Jul 7 09:28:02 UTC 2002

Good Evening,

This is my introducing message.
I've been following my ancestors roots for about 20 years, deriving
inevitably to their environment which has been for hundreds of years
as
farmers by the inland mountains of northern Portugal, around Viseu
area, 100
km from Porto.
The research on male line, quite surprisingly to me, lead to a church
patronage (gave away in the 17th century during the Spanish
occupation). The
origin of this patronage is traditionally attributed to Paio Carvalho
(Pelagius Karvalio), probably son
of Tructesindo Vermuiz #, the former was present in a dozen documents
by the
second quarter of the 12th century.

Going further back, at least one Portuguese manuscript*, and other
genealogical works**, relate this Paio Carvalho to the Counts of
Coimbra (or
more correctly Judges of Coimbra), via  Hermenegildo Mendes /
Hermenegildo
Guterres, who supposedly descended from Witiza (or his brother
Sisebuto), one of the last Visigoth
kings, his issue remaining in Coimbra during the Islamic rule.

Now, before you delete all this and throw it into the "another
delirious
genealogy fool" basket, I have to tell you I believe to have evidence
of
some kind of gothic relationship not only to this family but to the
region
itself. You must understand however that not being a scholar, or even
professional on the subject, some space must be allowed for ignorance.

If you think this would be pertinent to the discussion group please
let me
know, so that I can develop further my (numerous) doubts, questions
and (a
few) certitudes.

Thanks a lot,

Carlos Carvalho

Sorry but all sources are in portuguese
# denotes inedit conclusions
* Manuscrito da Casa de Telho, described in Felgeria Rubeas - Eduardo
de
Freitas - Felgueiras 1985
** Works of Jose Anes Arnado
** Nobiliario de Familias de Portugal - Felgueiras Gayo - Braga 1992
(3rd
volume title Carvalhos)

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?