[gothic-l] Re: Counts of Coimbra ?

F. E. Ximenez jimenezf01 at MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Sat Jul 13 07:02:42 UTC 2002

Greetings Pat,

The Basque are one of my favorite ethnicities to study.

I am sending you a citation for one work, however, it might be a bit tenuous to bring up the subject of "the Basques" in a
Gothic list. Simply stated, the Basques are outlyers in all mtDNA comparisons. There has been gene flow to the immediate
outlying areas "geographically" but only in the recent past.

Try:
"Human Mitochondrial DNA variation and the origin of the Basques" - 1994.
also - Bertrandpetit & Cavalli-Sforza -1991 and Calafell & Bertrandpetit - 1994
reconstructed the genetic population history (so to speak) of most of Europe taking special note of the Basques.

Pat Christiansen wrote:

>  Hi Ximenez:
> Where do the Basque fit into this picture? Could you direct me to some recent studies on the Basque? Thank you in advance.
> Ben
>

>   "F. E. Ximenez" <jimenezf01 at mail.montclair.edu> wrote: Greetings Sahin,
> I believe it is you who stated (as your opinion) that (Carlos Carvalho)
> “may have considerable connection to the 'Arabic' people as a Portuguese

” Your statement seems to infer that considerable admixture, must have
> occurred (after) the Moorish invasion of the Visigothic Kingdom in 711.
> However it is quite the contrary; - the published work (“Genetic
> diversity in the Iberian Peninsula” -1996 - Corte Real; Macaulay;
> Bertranpetit and Sykes) found that
 “the majority of Iberian [“mtDNA”
> (mitochondrial DNA)] lineages resemble those of central and northern
> Europe [“being quite close or identical”] (Richards et al. 1996).” The
> study further states “only a small proportion of lineages appear to
> originate in north Africa”
 “It seems therefore that the genetic
> contribution by the Moorish presence in the peninsula, which has been
> considered by some as substantial, has left little trace in the modern
> mtDNA gene pool” (of Iberia).
>
> On the other hand, according to the same study, you are quite right. The
> presence of a transition at position 126 of the haplotype in question in
> present European populations (found at a 50% frequency in Middle Eastern
> populations) and from (6%-12% in European populations ) seems to
> indicate that several waves of immigrants from the Middle East entered
> and settled in Europe in the period between 6000 and 12000 years before
> present. Generally - the latter seems to coincide with the first
> evidence of agriculture as well as the “Linienbandkeramik” and Impressed
> Ware cultures of central Europe and the Mediterranean coast
> respectively.
>
> Enough for now-
> Will answer other mail when I'm back in the office on Friday.
> Cheers,
> Frithunanths Ximenez.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.