[gothic-l] Historia Gothica

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Jul 15 05:56:33 UTC 2002

It might now be time to look at Historia Gothica of
Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada completed in 1243
when Castile was close to the reconquista of Spain.

Archbishop Rodrigo was not only an impressive
scholar he also was a warrior and statesman.
He wrote his work at the wish of Ferdinand III,
whose advisor he was. But the work was also
achieved for the Spanish grandees. Rodrigo
believed that the Royal Family of Castile was
the continuation of the Visigothic royalty.
"The centuries have regarded the Gothic Kings
as the foremost among royalty and in testament
rewarded Spain. I have depicted their good
deeds until the times that now are passing me by."

(Quoted after the 1603 edition, p. 27)

The history work is including a description of far off
Scandia, the populous island in the northern ocean with
its light summers and dark winters. Furthermore the Gothic
migration from this 'gentium officina et nationum vagina'
and the Gothic struggle with the princes of the world. Rada
deplores the fall of the Goths. Then the start of the reconquista
and the fact that after all the fall of the Visigoths had not been the will
of God. As a small spark Pelayo had been left so that "the holy
lamp in Spain would not be extinguished".

Gothically

Bertil

Save on REALTOR Fees
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM