[gothic-l] Re: Hic jacet Rodericus

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 19 08:28:09 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Carlos Carvalho" <cdecarvalho at s...> wrote:
> A tomb in Viseu says:
>
> "Hic jacet Rodericus ultimus Rex Gothorum
> maledictus furor impius Juliani pertinax
> indinatio ejus quia dura Vesanus furia
> animosus indignatione, impetuosus
> furore, oblitus fidelitatis."
>
> This is a fact unknown by most of the
> people who visit the town, because the
> church where it was deposed, S. Miguel do Fetal,
>  is normally closed.

Hi Carlos,

do you know if this tomb inscription is really contemporary with the
early 8th century? Often tombs of long-dead heroes were erected
centuries after their death. For example the tomb of the Saxon duke
Widukind dates to the 11/12 century. I am just curious, because some
authors of Visigothic history have even questioned the historicity of
Roderic and/or described him as a rather elusive figure. Certainly,
all the coins in his name turned out to be 19th century fakes,
meaning that he is the only Visigothic king not to have minted any
coins.

cheers
Dirk

> I think that along with him some nobles
> necessarily would accompany his corpse or the
> alive king (it is not known if he died there or not,
> the tradition says 2 years after arriving, as a monk).
> These people would be in the genesis of later
> powerfull portuguese counts that appear there and later made
> the court of Ramiro II, king of Leon, who reigned from Viseu.
>
> I would appreciate your comments on this if possible.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Carlos Carvalho
> (Maia - Portugal)

Free $5 Love Reading