[gothic-l] Gothic Kingdoms in the 4th century

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Sat Jun 1 11:39:30 UTC 2002

Listmembers,

I have stumbled across this line in Peter Heather's valuable account of Gothic history - "The Goths."

There is a quote that I am quite uncertain about, and I am looking for help to trace the ideas and sources behind it:

Peter Heather
The Goths p. 97:

"The Gothic world of the fourth century was divided into perhaps as many as six or more separate kingdoms."

I assume Heather is making a statement about Gothic kingdoms, although he might very well be adressing the question of kingdoms maintained by other tribes (Sarmatians, Taifali, etc.). At any rate, I wanna know what underlies this statement, and what makes Heather contribute this very interesting question - compared to the old one that presented two major power centres to wit that of the Vesi-Tervingi and that of the Greuthungi-Ostrogoths in the region.

Comments?

With thanks,
Oskar Andersson

Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,