[gothic-l] Re: (H)eruli in Iceland

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 29 16:37:01 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "hrafnsnest" <mimir at s...> wrote:

> Hail Einar!
>
>   Tore indicated that you are of the opinion that some of the (H)
> eruli made the migration to Iceland.  Not that I disagree with you,
> but what are your sources, and what is the physical evidence?
>
> Odhvaknir

### Hail Odhvaknir.

Sorry for my late response. I dont go so often in computers these
days.
There was a very extensive discusson about that subject last winter.

No there was not any Heruli that went to Iceland.

But there is a possibility that aristocratic chieftainly families of
Swedish and Danish descent who could trace their ancestry to Heruli
aristocratic families were among the leading families controlling the
settlement of Iceland.

Yes,Icelanders were not Norwegians.
They were a mixed stock of Scandinavians and Celts coming from
Scandinavian settlements in the British Isles.
These Scandinavians seem to be mainly to have been of Swedish and
Danish descent.
Having mostly(most likely) what is now present day South-east Norway
as their place of origin. Coming from there direcly to Iceland or
from the British Isles.
Yes,south east Norway was not Norway in the settlement period of
Iceland.

I have put forth extensive argumentation for this hypothesis and
among other sources used the writings of Barthi Guthmundsson about
that possibility which was published in the English language in 1967.
The book´s name is "The origin of the Icelanders"

I will not go through my sources because that I have done many times.
You have to find the letters on Germ-L. Mainly(think so) from
november last year(more or less)

Physical evidence can only be something based on anthropological
reaserch(physical anthropology) and DNA reaserch on skeletons from
old graves and DNA reaserch on the present day populations..

Physical anthropology says that Icelanders can not be Scandinavians.
They were already in the beginning mixed(up to 70-80%) with some
other stock of people that can only be the Celts or people from the
British Isles.

DNA reaserch says that up to 40-45% of the original settlers
population was of the Celtic origin.
But there are strong indications that some groups of the original
settlers population could trace their ancestry to Continental Europe.
Like present day Germany and Austria.
Barthi´s Heruli hypothesis is well known in Iceland and one genetic
scientist has opened up the possibility of such a migration to
Scandinavia if Icelandic material is taken into account.
That is the Heruli migration to Sweden could explain the Continental
genes in question that can be traced back to the original settlers
population.

You have to find my letters on Germ-L. if you want more info.

So there is nothing more to discuss here until new evidence comes to
light.
DNA and anthropological reaserch will give some answers.
But so far,reaserch and new evidence has only supported Barthi´s
hypothesis.

Cheers  Einar.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!