[gothic-l] Eruli: Etymology and Scandinavia V

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Mar 4 03:21:48 UTC 2002

You have also skipped the problem of the initial H.
In Roman books it is mostly "Herul" with variants,
as we discussed in some  detail last summer.

>"The scholarly consensus since the beginning of
>this century has been that the forms *erlaz, erilaR and
>Eruli exhibit suffix ablaut, as was already guessed by Zeuss;
>there has been some doubt, however, as to whether we
>are dealing with three words or only two....the vowel-less
>form *erlaz would have been a distinct word already in
>Proto-Scandinavian...But all is not clear about the...
>supposed ablaut. Friesen objected that -il-/-ul- ablaut is not
>a certainty in Old Icelandic noun paradigms adduced by Noreen
>to prove its existence, and as an explanation of the relationship
>between erilaR and Eruli it is 'only a guess'. Wessén's analogy
>between this 'suffix ablaut -il:-ul' and Latin exsul: exsilium is
>problematic, since such alternations in Latin are generally
>attributed to a pattern of assimilation associated with vowel
>weakening...
>
>Friesen suggested that there never had been a Germanic form
>*erul, but rather that Erulus -i was the Latinization (which later
>entered Greek) of erilaR, adapted to the fact that in Latin -ilus
>is almost exclusively an adjective ending, whereas -ulus is a
>regular derivative noun suffix....

-ulus as Latin end suufix, is a dimunitive term, though.
Example:

            Rex      Regulus

           "king"   "little king"

or         "könig"  "königchen"

>To sum up, we cannot reconstruct a meaning for Eruli on
>Germanic evidence alone; the name is related to the jarl
>words and erilaR, but cannot be equated with any of them. On the
>other hand, their close relationship means that we ultimately
>are looking for one etymology, not three."

You also skipped over the fact that about half the runic
inscriptions read "irilar" and not "erilar".

>The next contribution will include Taylor's discussion of the
>Indo-European Etymology of the people name Eruli.
>
>Erulically
>
>Bertil

e-mailically

Keth