[gothic-l] Eruli: Etymology and Scandinavia V

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Mar 4 13:58:39 UTC 2002

The whole discussion was initiated by you
claiming that Eruli should be spelled Heruli.

We are writing about the Greek and the Eruli.
Swedish has nothing to do with this. Note the
Greek, Erouloi.

Erulically

Bertil

> Sorry, Bertil, it was you who proposed
> Swedish runic inscriptions with initial H
> as evidence for Scandinavian Heruls, not me.
>
> That would be like the Russian H (a throat H).
> At some point the throat-H must have disappeared from
> Germanic, though, because it is gone now.
> Perhaps we can check the sources on this point a bit.
>
> I agree with you that "inorganic" is a good description
> of the modern Swedish H, especially when compared to
> the throat H. How do you suppose the ancient Greeks
> pronounced Herakles, Helios and Hellas?

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BxtVhB/7XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM