[gothic-l] Eruli: Etymology and Scandinavia V

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Mar 6 22:59:59 UTC 2002

Bertil wrote:
>Il Akkad wrote:
>> Inorganic, it is. At the time, the sound /h/ was not pronounced in either
>> Greek or Latin. We are speaking here about byzntine Greek, not ancient
>> Greek,so they pronounced Iraklis, Ilios, Ellas.
>>                                        sincerely Yours IL Akkad
Very good. The H is inorganic and not pronounced.
>Erulically  Bertil

It is of course a logic error to say *the* H  is inorganic etc
You were informed that the Greek/Latin H was unpronounced.
That is *one* H.
The other H was the one of the Germanic peoples,
and *that* H probably *was* pronounced.

Then imagine what happens when a Roman meets a Herul:

The HERUL says: "Howdy Roman, I'm a Herul !"
The ROMAN answers: "Beg you pardon!?"
The HERUL: "I said I am a HERUL."
The ROMAN: "Oh, I see! You are en Erul!"

e-lectronically
Keth

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM